Friday, October 19, 2007

She's Strange...And I Like It

I guess I'm back to using song titles as the title to my posts... Cameo said it back in 84, and its still true today.

I met this strange girl the other day. It was a just a coincidence that we talked. I was at lunch and for some reason nobody answered my phone calls. I also forgot my ear buds so I had no music on the iPod like I usually do. Bored, I sat back on the bench, puffing my Black n Mild, when she came and sat down. I gave her the head nod acknowledging her presence. I'm a man, so of course the first thing I noticed was that she was cute, not in a hot girl in the club way, but in a subtle unassuming way. She was about my color and had long hair pulled back in a ponytail. She had silver rings on each of her fingers. One was a skull, the other was an ankh. Yeah, I know I observe too much.

She pulled out her cigarette and made a phone call while I'm sitting back trying to remember the lyrics to an old Big Daddy Kane song. That's what I do when I'm bored. I remember thinking, "when was the last time I saw a Black girl smoking Marlboros?" She finishes her call and asks me my name. I'm like "I'm Rashan and you?" She says her name is "Sanaya" and shook my hand. We make small talk about what department we each work in and how long we been working for the company. Nothing special. Everybody at my company is pretty sociable. Then her phone rang. The ring tone was Nirvana's "Come As You Are" That was strange. A Black girl with a hard rock ring tone.

When she finished her call I mentioned how I liked Nirvana and her eyes lit up. "You know Nirvana?" I'm like yeah, slightly offended that she thought I wouldn't, but then realistic that I don't give that kind of vibe. I think she sensed this and proactively said, "most people can't identify with that." We made more small talk about our tastes in music and TV and movies, then she hit me with this.

"Okay, I know I don't really know you, but I have a question for you?"
"What's up?"
"You have to answer honestly, though."
"Umm..ok. I can't promise that, but I'll do my best"
"Ok, here goes... I've been talking to you for like 5 minutes, what do you think of me?"
"Wow, I wasn't expecting that one. In what way?"
"Just generally, what is your first impression?"
" I don't know enough about you yet to have a first impression. What is the real question? It seems like this is the preface to another question. Why don't you just ask that one?"
" Do I seem like a White girl?"
" Wait, I have a first impression... you are very forward."

She laughs and says:

"Answer the question!"
" I don't know about a White girl, but you definitely have different tastes than most Black women I know."
"So, is that your politically correct way of calling me a sellout?"
"(laughs) Nah, that's not what I meant. You really just say the first thing that comes to your mind, don't you?"
" I really want to know how people perceive me."
" Well, you are a little strange. I don't mean that in a bad way, cuz I'm strange too. I guess a better word would be eccentric."
"So I'm strange and you like it?"
"Yeah, I guess so. Where is all this coming from?"
"Well, it seems that I never get approached by Black guys. Only White guys talk to me."
"Word?"
"Yeah, I thought it was because I had no booty, but I think its more than that."

I tried to see her booty, but she was sitting down. She was skinny though, so I imagined that there may be some no booty issues. I kept the overly familiar conversation going.

"Do you date Black guys?
"I try, but you guys don't like me."
"I'm sure its not that."
"Would you date me?, I'm not asking for a date, I just mean in general."

There was a noticible hesistation before I answered. Not because I was unsure of the answer, but because I didn't know how I should answer. I decided to just tell the truth.

"Yeah, I would."
"Why?"
"Are you seriously asking me to delineate the reasons I would date you?"
"Yeah, you may just be saying that to make me feel better."
"You really don't know me. I don't do the placating thing."
"I guess I'll believe you, but I haven't had a brother try to get my phone number in months."
"Well, if you want me to be extra honest, you kinda look like the type that doesn't date us. I know its a superficial judgment, but if I had to guess, that's probably why they don't approach.

She stood up and playfully hit me on my shoulder.

"GETTHEHELLOUTTAHERE! Are you serious? I come off like that?"
" I could be wrong, but that's the vibe I get."
"Now we are getting somewhere. I knew you would have the answers."
"Like I said, it was just a vibe. I was just trying to come up with a theory."
"What is it about me that says 'I like white cock'"
"You mean besides the fact that you just said 'cock' and have Nirvana as your ringtone?"
"Shut up!!! No, I mean tell me"
"I don't know. You look more punk rock than hip hop. You have your own quirky style. For example, your rings. Not too many of us are rocking a skull, or wearing black nail polish.
"Okay, I gotta go back to work, but we ARE gonna talk about this some more. Where's your desk?"
"2 nd floor to the left"
"I'm gonna find you. You are a real interesting guy, Rashan. I need to pick your brain some more."

As she left, (and yes, I did scope out the booty. It wasn't big, but it was well proportioned) I sat there thinking. "what just happened?" That was one of the strangest conversations I've had in a while. Sanaya is kinda strange... and I think I like it.