Monday, July 30, 2007

All Eyes on Me

Yes, the title is a Tupac quote, and no, I still don't like Tupac, but the quote was appropriate in describing my Saturday. I went to a wedding shower for my good friends K and E, who are (hopefully) getting married on September 1st. I was reminded why I always keep my friends and my girls separate. I went solo, as I always do, but for once I wasn't a 5th wheel. I had my time occupied this time by a young lady (and this time, she is single). I'll call her PHD, because she is getting her PH.D in psychology. All eyes were on me because I was actually interacting with a female in front of my friends as well as some old coworkers.

The function started at 2:00 and I deliberately didn't show up until almost 4pm, because I knew that my people just don't start on time. I meant my friends, not Black people. LOL. When I got there, PHD, who is one of K's friends that they have been trying to set me up with for damn near a year was there. I took the opportunity to pick her brain a little and we had some good conversation. The party was downstairs in the basement, but because of the oppressive heat down there, I chilled upstairs for the most part with PHD. As we talked, people kept coming upstairs and observing us. I guess they were shocked that I actually was politicking instead of being my normal anti social self. They don't really see that side of me as I generally keep to myself and the crew when I hang out with them. But PHD was intriguing, so I kind of forgot about the party for awhile.

At some point, I went back downstairs to refresh my libation, and that 's when the interrogation started. The ex coworkers wanted to know the scoop.

"Is that your girlfriend?" Nah

"You tryna to holla at her?" Mind your business

"What y'all talking about for so long?" Stuff.

"Did you get her number?" Yes, now leave me alone.

"Y'all acting like ain't nobody else here" So what! Can I go back upstairs now?

"I thought you left. You been upstairs the whole time?" No, I'm not even here now. You are talking to an apparition.

Yeah, so all eyes were on me. It felt like when I was in high school and my homeboys were trying to boost me up to get some girls number. Just leave me alone and let me handle mine. But it was all good. I went up and talked to her a while longer until she left. It was cool. We'll see how it goes, but you know me. I'll find a way to mess it up.

After she left, I rejoined the party and tried to play it off to no avail. I was suddenly the topic of every one's conversation, which I couldn't quite understand. Is it that shocking that I actually have some social skills? Well I guess it is, because in the 5 years I been hanging out with these cats, I have never brought a woman around them. (Well, once, but she was already part of the group at the time and they never let me live that down.) And after this experience I probably wont do it for another 5. After a couple more hours of drinking, playing cards and getting teased, I called it a night and headed home. It was pretty much an all day thing and I actually went out and had some fun this weekend.

Afterthought: I thought about this after I had already written the post, so I thought I would add it. The wedding is gonna be in Vegas. They want me to fly out with them but I'm kind of hesitant. This will be the third attempt at a wedding (that's a whole 'nother post) and I don't wanna buy a ticket and have them change their mind again. The only thing that has me considering it is PHD is gonna be there and she wants me to come. It might be cool to hang out in Sin City with a new friend. We'll see how it goes. I guess I have to decide pretty soon since it's only a month away. Anyway, its getting late, so I'll try to get some sleep now. Happy Monday!!!