Thursday, April 5, 2007

Spring Cleaning

This is not a metaphor. I'm really talking about Spring Cleaning. I am a pack rat. There's no two ways about it. I have some stuff that I've had for years that I can't bring myself to to get rid of. For instance, look at the jersey I'm wearing in this picture (WARNING - EXCUSE TO POST PICTURES OF MYSELF LOL). I've had this since 1998. This picture was taken sometime last year, but I still have it. It's FUBU, and when is the last time you have seen FUBU, except on crackheads and the homeless? But I still wear this jersey when I'm loungin' around the crib on a lazy Sunday afternoon. I also have a bright yellow FUBU hoodie from 1999 that I wear around the house when it's cold. I have no explanation other than it's comfortable.





I also still have old letters and pictures from high school. I have a bag of pictures of people I haven't spoken to since I graduated high school 15 years ago. You know those wallet size senior pictures that you gave out to anyone who would take them? Yep, I got those. I imagine that I wouldn't recognize these people if they were sitting in the same room as me, but for some reason I hold on to the photographic evidence that at one time in my life, I wasn't a total and complete recluse. I think the really sad part is that whenever I have company, I bore them to tears by pulling out the old high school flicks like I'm trying to relive my glory days or something. That doesn't really make too much sense, because high school was far from an exciting experience for me. People didn't really get me until I went to college. I was just a nerd back then, before being a nerd was acceptable.


I'm an electronic pack rat too. I have remotes for TVs and VCRs I haven't had in years. I have Playstation 1 games that I keep for some reason, like I'm gonna actually play them again. I just got rid of my non working Atari last year. This morning I was looking through my computer at some of the files I have downloaded and realized that I have mp3's that I have not listened to in a couple of years and movies that I will never get around to watching. I already started deleting some of these files to make more space on my hard drive.


Since it's spring, as evidenced by the waves of yellow pollen covering my car, I think its time to do some Spring cleaning. Time to get rid of the past and move forward. Time to delete those inactive files and replace them with something that will actually be useful. Time to let go of those old pictures and create some new memories. Time to get rid of the old clothes and find something else to make me comfortable.


Maybe this is a metaphor for my life after all...