Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Prodigal Pt 2

Lets see... Where was I? Oh yeah...

Thursday started out with an early morning wake up call. My brother/nephew/step cousin Nate woke me up at about 6:30 in the morning before he went to school. Nate is a 6 year old that my mother and her husband adopted. That makes him technically my brother. But he is really my mother's husband's daughter's son's son. In some strange family tree experiment gone wrong thing, he calls me Uncle. Confusing enough? Anyway, let's move on because my head hurts when I think too hard about the genealogy of this situation. Nate is an extremely hyper child who doesn't understand that Uncle Rashan doesn't do mornings very well. I did my best to hide it, since he was so excited to see me, I brushed off my normal morning crankiness and kicked it with Nate before school. After he left, I went back to sleep and woke up around 11:30.

I forgot to mention one thing. This was the first time I had ever slept over at my mom's house. She got re-married 10 years ago this June, and I had yet to spend the night at her crib. On those rare occasions I do go to Savannah, I always stay at my Grandma's house, since that's where I grew up and feel most comfortable. It's not intended as a slight to my mom, but I just always wind up at Grandma's house. Well, I learned one thing that my mom and grandma's homes have in common: heat. I woke up sweating on top of the covers with a ceiling fan on full blast. I took another shower and after dodging my mother's attempts to feed me, drove across town to see Grandma. As I always do when I'm in Savannah, I took the scenic route. Not that it took much time at all, but I always drive around to see if anything has changed. About the only things that I could see that was different was a new Super WalMart across from Lake Mayer and a few more buildings purchased and renovated by the Savannah College of Art and Design (Yes, I know this means nothing to people who have never been to Savannah, but bear with me.)

I arrived at my Grandmother's house and we talked for awhile. She had been making some upgrades to the house. The ugly brown shag carpet that had been in the house for as long as I could remember was replaced and the walls were freshly painted, but it still felt like home. In fact it seems like I reverted back to the pre cynical jerk Rashan and was the sweet boy that made his Grandmother proud. Maybe, I am just analyzing too much. LOL. Anyway, she was going to get her hair done, so I drove her across town to the hair salon. It felt good just hanging out with her again, and made me rethink my whole not going to Savannah edict. When she was finished, I took her back home and made my way back to my mother's house.

When I got there, Nate was waiting for me at the door. He needed someone to play with I guess. We went out in the backyard and played basketball and ran around. Nate caught frogs with his bare hands and I watched from a distance to make sure they didn't touch me. Did I ever mention that I am afraid of animals? LOL. I was trying to tire him out so my mom could get him to sleep, but that boy has boundless energy. As much as I chased him and roughhoused with him, he never got tired. I can only imagine what my mom is going through every day. I'm only 32 and after one day with Nate, and I was exhausted. After we cleaned up, we played some more with his thousands of toys until it was time for bed. I know my mother was glad to get a break and I was glad to be of some little service. Nighttime came, and I was now left without anything to do for the rest of the night. I started getting restless and thought about going out to look for some of my old partners in crime but thought better of it. Instead, I just watched The Sopranos and The Shield reruns and eventually drifted off to sleep around 4. What would Friday have in store for me?

Okay, this is getting too long again, so I'm gonna call it a night. I'll be back tomorrow with the conclusion of my Savannah trip.