Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Prodigal Pt 3

I THOUGHT I POSTED THIS LAST THURSDAY WHEN I WROTE IT, BUT APPARENTLY I JUST SAVED IT.

Something about Savannah makes me feel like a child again. I already told you how I was at Grandma's house. Well, Friday morning, my mother wakes me up and tells me that I have an appointment with the eye doctor. Yeah, a grown man whose mother makes his doctor's appointment. It was just as well. I had been putting off going to the eye doctor for a couple years. I've been wearing the same pair of contacts for the last year. It's so bad that it's a running gag with some of my co workers. This girl at the job calls me "dirty contacts." Anyway, I wasn't really feeling getting up in the morning so I changed the appointment to the afternoon and just hung out with my mom and her husband for awhile. I knew when I got to the doctor I was in for a lecture. She's a friend of my mother's who I've been going to for almost 20 years. Except in the 7 years since I left Savannah, I probably gotten my eyes checked twice. Long story short: I got my lecture and got some new contacts and even ordered some glasses. Here I am trying on a pair.



I left Dr. Brown's office and went to see my grandmother again. This time I decided to take the scenic route. I drove past some of my old stomping grounds: DeRenne Middle School, which is now an adult education school; Frozen Paradise, the club I used to go to every Thursday and Saturday; New York Avenue, where I had a crappy one bedroom duplex and where I first shacked up with the ex. Yamacraw Village, where I almost got shot; that gas station on Montgomery where I almost got shot, and all the places in between where I was drunk or high, partied or hooked up with loose women (j/k). I found myself getting nostalgic for Savannah. I remembered that for a time, this was home.



I had some bad times there, but I finally remembered the good times too. Like the Orange Crush parties on the beach, or my years at Savannah State, or just hanging out with a girlfriend or my homeboys. Savannah wasn't all bad. I thought about some of the people I left behind and wondered what they were up to. Where the hell is Boo Trotter? We were as close as could be for a while. How is Kareem really doing now that he is out of jail? That's my brother from another mother. Is Tori staying out of trouble? Is he still pursuing the music thing? What about Charis, Latarsha, Senita, Tiffany, Kelsey, Lorenzo, Nicole? Where are they now? What about the high school cats like Reggie, Chavon, and Billy? Are they all still alive? The curiosity got to me for about 30 minutes.



I say 30 minutes because that's about how long it took me to drive around the city. Before I knew it, I had seen everything I wanted to see and was back over my grandmother's house. Savannah is too small for me. It takes me more than a half hour to get to work each day and I had relived 12 years of Savannah in that amount of time. After hanging out at my grandmother's house for awhile, I went back to mom's to give her another Nate break. Before I knew it, it was 11 o'clock and everyone was sleep except for me. I had nothing else to do since I saw all of Savannah earlier that afternoon, so I just sat around and waited to get sleepy. It didn't happen. I felt the walls closing in on me, so I took a drive out to Tybee Island, intending on hanging out on the beach for awhile, but the heavy police presence sent me packing. Normally I would have just drove back to Atlanta since I like driving at night, but I promised Nate I would see him in the morning so I went back to Mom's crib and crashed for a few hours before getting up to go home in the morning.


So there was my Savannah trip. Like so much of my life these days, it was pretty uneventful with just enough drama mixed in to keep me alert. I did learn something though. Savannah, although not my ideal city, is a part of my past and as long as I am blessed to have family there, part of my future. Could I ever see myself living there again? Not so much, but I do hope that I can bring myself to visit more often.



THESE PICTURES HAVE NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH THE POST, BUT SINCE I'M EMPTYING OUT MY CAMERA PHONE FOLDER, I MIGHT AS WELL SHARE. THE FIRST PICTURE IS THE MOHAWK THAT MY NIECE CUT FOR ME. THE SECOND IS ME AND NEPHEW TAKING A NAP. THE LAST ONE IS ME AT WORK.