Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Snap Out Of It

I'm feeling annoyed for no good reason. I can't figure it out. I was off work yesterday, and instead of enjoying the solitude like I usually do, I just found myself restless. What I thought was the cause of my annoyance, as I thought about it, was only a secondary cause. I was feeling annoyed since I woke up yesterday morning. Whatever the cause, I need to snap out of it. I can't stand feeing annoyed with the world. It causes me to say stuff that hurts peoples feelings or just avoiding people altogether. This doesn't happen often, but I usually have some things I can do to get rid of this blah feeling.

Step One: Sleep - I tried this last night. I went to bed at a decent hour, but found myself waking up annoyed every couple of hours. Usually, I can go right back to sleep, but it wasn't working last night. Every little thing woke me up. The dog across the way that barks incessantly that I can usually tune out, the train whistle that I never hear when I'm sleep, the sirens emanating from the fire station that's close to me. Last night, I heard all of those things. Sleep didn't work, so let's move to step two.

Step Two: Long Hot Shower - Something about the hot water soothes me. I did this today before going to work. We'll see how it goes. I felt great while in the shower, but as soon as got dressed to leave, that old familiar annoyance came back.

Step Three: Talib Kweli's "Get By" - Something about this song gets me going when I'm not feeling it. It's one of my artificial hypeners (yes, i know that's not a word.) If that doesn't work, then I can move on to Raekwon's "Glaciers of Ice." One of these should get me pumped up to face the day at work. If not, then I just have to fake it at work today.

Step Four: Don't Talk To Anyone -If all else fails, I just have to go solo today. No team building. No laughing and joking with the co workers. Just me and my computer and my work. Conversations that I usually find funny will just annoy me when I'm in this mindstate. People will seem infinitely dumber than they usually do.

I sure hope these work. I usually don't feel blah for more than 24 hours and hopefully the trend will continue and I can go back to being the easygoing, funloving, jokecracking dude you all know and love. I'm just saying though, there better not be no traffic today. I don't wanna have road rage today. I'm already annoyed enough at little things. I need to snap out of it.