Monday, June 18, 2007

Why I Don't Trust Women! or The Imaginary Player

Today's random thought: I finally took my contacts out and started wearing my glasses. I think they look pretty good. Someone told me I "don't look like such a jerk with my glasses" I didn't really know how to take that, but I guess it was a compliment.

I got some serious trust issues. I just don't believe anyone is genuine until they prove it to me. It's like guilty until proven innocent. People tell me all the time that I'm too cynical, but I don't think I am. I think I am just realistic. People lie all the time, and I kind of just expect it at this point. I mean, it is what it is. I try not to worry about things I can't change. But before anyone thinks I'm being too harsh, let me tell you a little story about this girl I met Saturday night.

I saw her across the bar. She was sitting with her girl, looking a little disinterested. But then our eyes locked. I was deep into the Jack and didn't have my normal reflex of averting my gaze. I was looking and I wanted her to know. The thing is she was looking back. Staring actually. My self conscious side wondered if I had something on my face so I subconsciously started wiping my cheek. But that wasn't the case. I was straight. She was actually just looking at me.

I zoned out of the conversation I was having with my friends. I mean, how many times are they going to bring up my mistake from a couple of years ago. Everybody has one or two on their list that they regret, so why can't I? But I digress. Anyway, I glanced back over and the girl was still looking. Even someone as dense as I am couldn't ignore that hint. It was time for me to go talk to her. I got up and made my to other side of the bar.

I won't waste time with a long stalkery description of her appearance, but suffice it to say she was attractive. Her name was Desiree and she was drinking Grey Goose and cranberry. I motioned for the bartender to get her another one, by this time I was sipping on a Grand Marnier. I was just about done drinking, since I had the hookup all night. 4 Jacks and Amaretto Di Serrano on the rocks and now the Grand Marnier for $8.50 and a hefty tip and I was straight. I sat next to her and made conversation, at first pedestrian as I felt her out to see what level she was on. I soon learned all the basics, like she was 28, single, no kids and worked as a social worker for the city. I could tell that she had a brain on her, so we soon started talking about deeper topics.

Two drinks, a stimulating conversation and 30 minutes later, her friend was ready to go, so it was time to say goodbye. Desiree grabbed my cell and put her number in, then called her phone so she would have mine. I walked her out to her car, her friend looking increasing irritated by my presence, but I didn't care. It had been a long time since I met someone that piqued my interests, so I was going to milk it for all it was worth. She gave me a quick hug and told me that I should call her sooner rather than later.

Now, if you have ever read my blog before, you know that was a made up story. Okay, now what really happened. I was sipping on a Grand Marnier and she was drinking that Goose. I was checking her out and she was looking back. But here's where the truth diverges from my imaginary player story. I was feeling a little uninhibited from all the drinking I was doing, so I had every intention of going to talk to her. I even got up of the bar stool and walked in her direction. The only problem was by the time I got to that side, her man walked in. I mean, I think it was her man, he sure acted like it with his grabbing the ass and all. I felt a little foolish, so I played it off by pretending I was going to the bathroom. After waiting an appropriate time frame, I went back to the bar where my friends were still talking about that damn girl from a couple years ago.

And now the real ill part. As I was leaving I saw her again. I was outside waiting for my friends and she was leaving with the guy but making eye contact with me again. Her friend discreetly came over to me and handed me a slip of paper with a name and number on it. She said, "my friend wants you to call her." The story of my life... Every chick that's interested in me already got a man. They say there's a shortage of men in Atlanta, but I don't believe that mess because every woman I meet seems to be attached. Just thought I would share my embarrassing moment with you guys. It's just further reason for me not trusting people. BTW, you all will be very proud of me, I threw the number away without ever calling it. Now that's progress.