Thursday, October 2, 2008

Thirteen Words I Use Too Frequently

Thirteen Words I Use Too Frequently (Not to be confused with words YOU use too frequently LOL)


1. Crazy – everything is crazy. Did you see that car right there? That joint was crazy. Did you hear Andre 3000’s verse? It was crazy, yo! That dude over there talking to himself? He’s crazy! I think my overuse of the word diminishes the actually crazy things that I see all the time.


2. So – I always start my sentences with so… Par example.. So, I was drinking some Hennessy last night… Or… So, why exactly do you expect me to care? I use it on my blog all the time, but I can’t stop.


3. Jerk – most often used to describe myself. I wear it like a badge of honor. But I still use it too much.


4. Mad – Mad is my favorite qualifier. Saying it’s hot is not enough. I have to say its MAD hot. Or it Mad Sahara Desert like in here. I sometimes forget that I haven’t lived in New York in over 20 years. I need to let the slang go.


5. Dramatic – I don’t know if you know this, but I think just about everybody is dramatic. Like they get excited and emotional over things that don’t require excitement and emotions. I’m always calling somebody dramatic, thus the word is overused in my vocab.


6. Nah – I don’t say no, I say Nah. Nah, I ain’t hanging out with you. Nah, I’m not gonna call her back. Etc. Etc. Etc.


7. Uh –Huh – I don’t say yes. I say, “uh-huh” Except when I’m at work, and then it’s a conscious effort to actually say yes and stay professional.


8. Wayne – this one is not my fault. If Lil Wayne would stop making so many songs, and people would finally catch on that he’s not that good, then I would be able to stop saying “Lil Wayne Sucks!” Come on, help me out with this one please!!!


9. Yeah – I not only say this when I’m responding in the affirmative, I also say it like Blumberg in Office Space. Elongated.. Yeeeeah, I’m gonna need you not to talk to me for about 3 hours and twelve minutes.”


10. For real? – I know, technically a phrase, but I use it a lot nonetheless. It expresses my minor surprise and/or disgust with what someone just said or did. Ex. For Real? You really came to work wearing plaid pants, a striped vest and a tie with our company logo on it? (True story, btdub)


11. Nigga- I don’t really say this one out loud too much, but when I’m writing or thinking it comes out. I’m not tryna get into a debate about the N word. I’m not telling anyone else to stop using it, I’m not gonna stop using it. But I’m trying to cut down. LOL


12. Hey – I don’t really use this one too much, but I’m self conscious about it for two reasons. First, this is the most Southern thing that I say. Even though, I’m Georgia born, and Georgia bred (after age 11), when I first moved down South, people were saying “hey” instead of hello or what’s up. I prided myself on trying to be more New York than them. The second reason is that TV show “Felicity.” Yes, I watched a show about a white college girl, but I don’t wanna talk like one. I know these are ridiculous reasons, but they are honest ones.


13. Yo! – Yo to me is what MFer is to Bernie Mac. I can use it a number of different ways in the same conversation. I can use it to refer to a person. (What up, Yo!?!) I can use it to respond to someone who is trying to get my attention (Rashan? Yo? What’s Up?) I can use it to emphasize a point. (Yo, for real, I was bugging out when I seen that.) I can use it to get someone’s attention (Ay, yo!! Come here for a second!) I can use it to express shock (YOOOOOO!!! I can’t believe you sent me that video with the two girls and one cup!) The list is infinite. I still have to figure out how to use it as a verb. LOL