Thursday, August 14, 2008

Thursday Thirteen: Thirteen Phrases That Annoy The (expletive deleted) Outta Me

1. Heeeey, boooo! - Don't call me boo...ever. We are not on The Parkers and that elongated hey just grates on my nerves like nails on a chalkboard.

2. Grown and sexy. Nope, you mean old and loose. Or old and too big for that outfit you are wearing. Or old, loose and too big for that outfit you are wearing. Or old, loose, too big for that outfit you are wearing, and lonely and desperate for attention. I've seldom found anyone that proclaims themselves to be grown and sexy to be either grown or sexy. If you really are, you don't have to say it.

3. It ain't trickin' if you got it. Yes it is. Stop trying to justify your cake daddy tendencies by saying you got money. You still tricking. Not that there's anything wrong with that. If you gon cake, be proud of your caking abilities. Be the best trick you can be!

4. Almost exactly. It's either almost or its exactly. It can't be both. Pick one and stick with it.

5. Off the (insert thing it's off here). First off what does that even mean? I don't understand your metaphor. Why is something better if its not attached to a chain? Why is something good cuz there's no hook? What in the name of all that is holy does a meat rack have do with anything?

6. Things of that nature. Why even say that? Just tell us what those things are. Usually when I hear this, its from someone who is not prepared in a meeting or conference call and I can tell they are winging it.

7. Family values. I don't like this one cuz its usually disingenious. Usually the people saying this could care less about families unless they make over 150K and vote Republican. What about the poor people? They have family values too. They got moms. They got grandma's. They got baby mama's, cousins, adopted children, and that uncle that drinks too much and tries to start the electric slide at inopportune times. That's real family values.

8.Give 110%. Not possible. Do I need to explain math to you? You can't do more than 100%.

9. Thinking outside the box. Really? Where is this supposed box? And why does every meeting have to involve this phrase? Its mad overused. And the implications of it are basically break all the rules. How bout this? Next time I come to one of these meetings wearing a Malcolm X t-shirt holding an automatic weapon, while chanting "Kill Whitey!!!' What's the problem? I was just thinking outside the box.

10. Brangelina. Or any combination of celebrity names. Hate it with a fiery passion. At least make it make a new word if you gonna combine it. Dont be making stuff up just to try to be clever. You ain't clever.

11. Make it rain. Stop with the making it rain. Now we got people that have no business making it rain, attempting to make it rain. Stop encouraging people to be all flashy with it. Next thing you know I'm gonna hear this on Sportscenter or better yet in church. Come on y'all.. Make it rain with them tithes! Jesus is working hard out here. I can't get no tips up on the alter? BTW, I fully expect someone to comment that they've heard that in church. LOL

12 Hot mess - Or H.A.M. or Hot ghetto mess. Don't like any of those.

13. Holla at your boi. Let's just for a minute forget that spelling boy with an i is extremely gay (with the exception of Big Boi from Outkast cuz I like him) that phrase has just been overdone. I can't go a day without hearing someone say that. Whether it's on tv or in the lobby at work or on some horrible rap song, all these bois want to be holla'd at. It just gets on my nerves when I hear it. Rational? Probably not, but who says I always have to be rational?

Honorable Mention: This one used to annoy me, but for some reason I started to like it. It makes me laugh. I don't know if they say this anywhere else but in the A: Where dey do dat at? They say that when they see somebody doing something they shouldn't be doing or something that looks strange.. It's usually accompanied by a slight look of disgust, and a country accent.

What are some phrases that annoy the (expletive deleted) outta you?