Friday, September 21, 2007

Dear Autumn

Dear Autumn,

I know we still technically have a couple of days before you arrive, but I just wanted to let you know that I am really looking forward to you. Your cousin Spring and I just didn't get along, and your sister Summer and I have been having an up and down relationship. I'm counting on you, Autumn, to keep me happy. I'm in a really good place right now. I don't have a thing to complain about and I need your help to maintain that. Me and you, Autumn, we gonna ride the next few months. I see you already coming through with the lower temperatures and I appreciate that. What's better than a cool Autumn afternoon with some football and some friends? That's what I need. What's better than taking a walk amongst the changing foliage with a pretty lady? What's better than frolicking in the leaves with your nephews and nieces? I need you to do your part, Autumn. I promise if you do, I will do my best to maintain this good mood I've been in lately. You have always been my favorite of the seasons. Don't let me down this year.

Remember, back in the day when we used to be inseparable? We made quite a team. When I was young in New York, we would go apple picking every year you came around. I recall riding my bike all over Spring Valley in my school clothes and then rushing home to change before my mother got home. When I was a teenager, we would hit the Coastal Empire Fair each fall. I'll never forget those teenage days of high school football games and Godfather's Pizza. When I was a little bit older, Autumn, you always brought a new feminine distraction my way. It's like you knew when it was time for me to stop being a loner. You always brought on the good times. Let's get back to what we used to be. This year hasn't gone quite the way I thought it would, but Autumn, together we can be formidable. I'll see you in a couple of days.

One Love,

Rashan Jamal