Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Another Edition of Rashan Thinking Too Much: Sports and Racism

What's the deal, blog fam? I hope you all had a safe and enjoyable Labor Day weekend. Mine was cool. I didn't do too much of anything this weekend, other than go to my niece's birthday party. Other than that, I overdosed on college football this weekend and watched a few movies. My "girly" date with PHD was postponed as she had a paper to rewrite this weekend, so I pretty much chilled.

Monday, I realized something about myself. I just might be a racist. It started out innocently enough. I was half - watching the US Open tennis tournament and there was a match between a (half) Black dude and a White dude. The names escape me right now. Well, subconsciously, I decided that I wanted the Black dude to win. I realized I had no other reason for rooting for him than a common possession of melanin. When I think about it, its not anything new, I think I always root for the Black guy to win, but I wonder does that make me racist? I imagine if a Caucasian said the same thing, I would think it was racism, but for me, it just came natural to root for the Negro. Hell, I even find myself rooting for Ti.ger Woo.ds sometimes, even though he strikes me as the least Black Black person in America.

What made it worse is the announcers. I usually watch sports with the volume down to tune out the inane babbling of the so called experts, but today I was listening to them. It seemed to me, that every time the Black player made a good shot, it was attributed to his athleticism, rather than his skill. The opposite was in effect for the White player. He, according to the announcers, was skillful, not athletic. I thought about that for a minute. Was I wrong in thinking that racism had something to do with their characterizations of the players? And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it was malicious in nature, but it seemed to be a double standard going on. I then thought about my own perceptions of the races when it comes to sports. Almost subconsciously, when you see a White athlete, he doesn't give you the athletic vibe. That's why in basketball, its 10 times worse to get dunked on by a White guy, than a Black guy. Or in football, why we still have conversations about Black quarterbacks when almost half of the starters in the league are Black. I came to the conclusion that I am just as racist as everyone else, because I think these same thoughts sometimes.

Here are some of my racist thoughts when it comes to sports:

If I watch a Mexican boxer, I think he's gonna be really tough. I also know he is gonna get cut about halfway through the fight.
I'm always shocked when a White basketball player dunks instead of shooting three pointers or mid range jumpers.
Black soccer players must be from Africa because we don't play that in the hood. (like I know anything about the hood.)
Have I ever seen an Asian Football player?
I got more, but I think I've put my own prejudices out there enough for one day.

I've heard the argument that Black people can't be racist because we don't have the power in this country. With all due respect, I think that's some bullshit. Since when does power factor in to the way we think? If I call someone a ho.nky ala Geor.ge Jeffe.rson, isn't it the same as them calling me ni.gger, regardless of whether or not we have one Black senator, or fifty. I don't think that is particularly a bad thing, its just tribalism. Most people are more comfortable with people that they share a common experience with. I am of the opinion that most people have some racism in them one way or another. It doesn't make them bad people necessarily, it just is what it is. The key is to be able to put aside your racism and treat people the same regardless of race.

I know racism is a touchy subject and I don't mean to make light of it. Since sports is what made me think about it, I just discussed it from a sports perspective. I could probably find more examples of my racism in other aspects of my life, but I don't want to come across as an even bigger bigot. I honestly believe in the equal rights of all Americans, but I also realize that when it comes down to it, most people are gonna cheer for their own tribe. What do you think? Am I just thinking too deeply, or am I a racist for these thoughts? Does rooting for your race or countryman make one a racist? I'd be lying if I said I knew the answer.

And I'm outta here...like last year... (more old school ish for ya!)