Monday, April 14, 2008

Prince Week: The Beautiful Ones

Dedicated to the sheer genius that is Prince Rogers Nelson... I had a couple of ideas in my head for blog titles that just so happened to coincide with some of my favorite Prince songs. So, being the weirdo that I am, I decided to do like I did with Nas' Illmatic and create a series of posts based on the Purple One's songs. I'm not gonna do one specific album, because that would require more work. I mean I can come up with a post about "Let's Go Crazy" but "I Would Die 4 U" is kind of a foreign concept for me. If you don't know what Prince album those songs are on, I'm a need you to kill yourself and get reincarnated and this time pay attention when classic music is played to pick up a copy of "Purple Rain" the album and the movie and be prepared to become a fan.

So where do I start this... I kinda already wrote one for "If I Was Your Girlfriend," but I think I'll hold that one back while I decide if it is too strange even for me. It will more than likely make an appearance, but in a far diluted version. Let's start Prince week, with one of my favorite Prince songs, (and that's saying something)
"The Beautiful Ones." A song so perfect in its simplicity that not even the wack combination of Mariah Carey and Sisqo could mess it up with their remake. Without further adieu, let's get to it.




The Beautiful Ones

Paint a perfect picture/Bring 2 life a vision in one's mind/The beautiful ones/Always smash the picture/Always everytime



Something I heard a while back has been sticking in my head for the last few months. It came from the mouth of one of my exes...

"Rashan, your type is cute. You don't go for the real beautiful girls."

In spite of the many times that I have called her beautiful, I guess she felt she fell in the cute range. That's neither here nor there. Strange though, that this particular piece of analysis sticks in my head so much. In a way, it's true. I don't think I consciously avoided the beautiful ones, more so that I got along with the cute girls better. And besides, they have been beautiful to me, even if the outside world doesn't share my ideals. Regardless of that, those words continue to resonate with me. It made me wonder why that is.

First of all, to undertake this endeavor, I'll have to define a certain standard of beauty. It is really in the eye of the beholder, but certain things are true for most people. The thing is I'm not like most people. I tend to have a skewed view of things. As an example, Halle Berry. Remember when, niggas would give their left testicle to get at Halle? I was never really impressed. Don't get me wrong, she was definitely pretty, but I've seen prettier walking in the mall. Or Beyonce? Dudes think Bey is the standard of beauty now a days, but I'm not feeling it. Partially it's because she always talks like she is reading from a teleprompter and partially because her overexposure in the music world annoys me, but I just don't think she is that beautiful. See what I mean? The ones that everyone else thinks are beautiful are not to me.

The Beautiful Ones are the ones that make you speechless when you see them. The ones that every guy wants to get with. The ones that get compliments that are not only related to anatomical structure. With The Beautiful Ones, you notice their face before their ass and you keep your eyes above the waist when they walk by. They make you just utter nonsensically at their beauty. Just say "Daaaaammmnn!"

Where was I going with this... Aaahh. I remember. Why don't I go for The Beautiful Ones? I don't think I can truthfully provide an answer. Maybe my need to be different is so great, that it extends to my choice of girlfriends. But that's real life. The Beautiful Ones, with their swagger and self assuredness don't really do too much for me. I'm more about what a person is about mentally than physically. That's why I half jokingly said in my previous post that I would date ugly girl. You'd be surprised what good conversation and mental stimulation can make up for with me. That's not to say that I'm actively seeking someone that I find physically unattractive, its just that looks are not enough for me.

I've dated one or two Beautiful Ones before. Their beauty wasn't enough to keep me interested. After you get past that initial infatuation stage, I found myself not really invested in what they were all about. People, please don't misread what I'm writing. I'm not saying that its impossible for a woman to be the total package, I'm simply stating that the Beautiful Ones that I've dealt with haven't been. I'm sure there are a few reading this post right now, taking umbrage to my words, but that's not really the intent. I'm sure that you are as fine and intelligent as you think you are. I'm not talking about you. LOL.

Or maybe I'm just full of shit. Maybe, I just don't want to have to fight dudes off my girl all the time. Maybe I don't want to play the Fred Flintstone to her Wilma. Maybe The Beautiful Ones just don't like me, so I don't like them back. I don't know. I do know this much though. Give me a girl with a cute face, and some great conversation and I'll be in heaven. She doesn't have to be a certain height or weight, or look like the video vixen du jour. Whatever the case is, it doesn't really matter. I like what I like. Nobody else's standards really apply. The Beautiful Ones can have everyone else chasing them; I'm good on that. I guess when it comes down to it though, I always choose The Beautiful Ones, I just have different standards of what it is beautiful to me.


May U Live 2 See The Dawn