Monday, April 7, 2008

The Trap House

Okay, I think one of my neighbors is operating a trap house. I think I mentioned seeing some crackheads the other day. But this morning my fears were all but confirmed.

It's 5AM and I'm outside smoking a black. I know its a nasty habit and I'll stop one day soon. But that's not the point of the story. This is the point. I'm in the parking lot just chillin', playing with my new phone, when I see those same 2 characters from the other day. They are walking fast as hell. I decide to get my surveillance on and see where they are going. They are being trailed by a woman this time. They go to an apartment that I thought was empty which is across the way from me, but no more than 100 yards from where I stay. The 2 men go inside, while the woman stays outside. 4 minutes later, they emerge from the apartment and start walking back towards the entrance of the complex. The woman keeps looking back at me, looking mad paranoid. Of course, I didn't do anything to allay her fears, I stared back as if to say "get the hell out of here" which they do.

Another one of my neighbors comes out of her apartment and asks me if I just saw that. I replied that I did. She tells me that they moved in 2 weeks ago, but didn't have a uhaul or boxes or anything. Gotta love Rosie the Nosy Neighbor. She says that she thinks it's a drug front. Says someone needs to drop a dime on them. As we are talking, another unsavory looking character does the quick walk to the same apartment only to leave 2 minutes later. I'm thinking, damn she's right. This really is a trap house going on. Now, usually I'm not one to knock one's hustle, but for real? You gonna just open up a trap house in an apartment complex? You just gonna bring crackheads (and I have no idea where they are coming from because its not the type of hood where I would expect crackheads to live) right where the school bus comes and picks up kids every morning. I don't know what to do next. I hate to see another Black man go to jail, much less be responsible for it, but this shit right here? Not gonna work for me.

I can also be completely wrong. I could be jumping to conclusions. After all, there hasn't been a rash of break ins or broken crack vials all over the place. For the most part, other than just coming and going at all times of the morning (which I do too) there is no evidence that my new neighbors are d-boys. Perhaps I'm just falling into that trap (pun intended) of suspicion that so many others do. But I know this much, I'm gonna keep my eyes open. Can someone get me McNulty's phone number?