Saturday, October 27, 2007

Bootleg: The Conclusion

Part un

Part deux


Aiight, where was I? I had just found out that this girl was on some "I Am Sam" shit. I was a little embarrassed, but nobody really knew so I didn't have to worry about it. To top it off, I think whatever I was smoking wasn't just regular marijuana. I laid on my bed and reflected on the night that went by. I was listening to (and don't laugh) George Michael's "Listen Without Prejudice" album which is what I always played when I needed to think. Can't really give any other explanation except its a good CD and it works well as background music. Anyway, the shrill sound of my pager interrupted my meditation. I didn't recognize the number, but that wasn't too unusual because back then cats used payphones all the time. I called the number back:

Me: Ay yo! Somebody page Rashan?

Voice: Yeah, you that nigga in the maroon Tercel?

Me: Who is this?

Voice: I found your number in my girls pocket. I saw you drop off Jess'ca before.

Me: I don't know no Jessica.

Voice: Aw, nigga. You know her.

Me: Man, its late. What do you want?

Voice: What do I want? I want you to leave my girl alone. She told me what y'all did tonight.

Me: Oh, you talking bout Francesca. Man, I don't know what she told you, but I barely know her.

Voice: Just stay away from her. She's mine.

Me: Aiight, man. Ain't nobody tryna take your girl, although you may wanna try to keep her out of the club all the time.

Voice: Nigga, don't worry bout that. I'll handle my shit. You just make sure...

Me: Nigga, if you was handling your shit, then we wouldn't be having this conversation. I'm out, son!

Let's see if I got this straight: Unattractive, mentally challenged, blunt-lacer, and using me to make her man jealous? If that wasn't a recipe for disaster, I don't know what is. I decided that some stuff in my life was going to have to change. For one, no more going to the club every damn day. I needed to avoid seeing Bootleg. Also, I decided no more smoking weed with people I didn't know. Unless you were in my circle, I wasn't going to partake. Finally, no more being drunk in public. I didn't plan on stopping altogether, but it would be in the confines of my home or someone else's I trusted. I finally managed to turn my brain off and doze off. I awoke the next morning refreshed and confident that I had put this episode behind me.

And I did for awhile. For a good two months, I stayed out of the club. I would just hang out at people's houses or spend time with the ladies. I didn't even get drunk like I used to. I managed to do like they say on the commercials...drink responsibly. I hadn't heard from or seen Bootleg. One night, I was invited to hang out at the club for some one's birthday, and against my better judgement, I decided to go. I figured enough time had passed and that I could make it through just one night. Well, you already know what happened: Bootleg was up in the place. She saw me before I saw her, so I couldn't escape. What happened next is messed up. I don't even know how I came up with these lies, but they flowed as if from a spring of pure evil.

Bootleg: Where da fuck you been, nigga!

Me: Shit, I was locked up. (BIG LIE #1)

Bootleg: For what?

Me: I got a DUI that night. Cops said I had weed and cocaine in my system. I have never done coke in my life. (BIG LIE #2)

Bootleg: Aw, I dusted the blunt. You wanna smoke one now?

Aha - I knew it. I know I couldn't be that high just off some weed.

Me: Nah, I quit. I just got out of jail, I'm not trying to go back (BIG LIE #3)

Bootleg: "Let's get outta here."

Me: Nah, I don't have my car. I'm riding with them tonight. Besides, I don't want your baby daddy getting mad. (BIG LIE #4)

The conversation took a serious turn here:

Bootleg: Fuck that nigga. He think he own me just cuz I'm pregnant.

Me: DAMN!! You pregnant again? How you gonna be drinking and smoking and you pregnant?

Bootleg: Oh, you sound like my social worker.

Me: Your social worker? Why you got a social worker?

Bootleg: Fuck that. You gonna get up on this ass or what?

Me: Nah, I'm good. I can't fuck with you. You got too much going on with ya.

I dipped to the bar and broke my no getting drunk in public rule. I used to be a stress drinker and dammit I was stressed. I couldn't fathom that she was pregnant and still doing the same things. Even back then, when I didn't really care about anything but my own personal gratification, that shit bothered me. 3 drinks later, Bootleg found me again. I was 2 steppin (cuz I must reiterate, I can't dance) with this girl that I knew from college. Bootleg came up behind me and grabbed my shoulder.

Bootleg: I know you wanna fuck... let's go over in the corner.

Me: Get the hell on. I'm busy.

Bootleg: I don't have on no drawers.

Me: For real, now! Go somewhere.

College girl left and I was posted up on the speaker, blowed. I couldn't believe that I found myself in the same position again. Bootleg grabbed at my crotch. This time I wasn't high and stopped her. But she was persistent. I don't know if it was the crazy or the drugs, but she was just not trying to hear that I wasn't interested. She kept trying to kiss on me and shit and I kept pushing her off. I finally had to just leave the club. I didn't even say goodbye to the people I was hanging with. I just stormed outside and Bootleg of course followed.

Bootleg: Shawn! Shawn! Where you going?

I didn't look back. I wasn't in the mood to be understanding or sensitive or politically correct. I wanted to just get the hell out of there as quickly as I could. I jumped in the car and started it up. Bootleg started banging on the window.

Bootleg: Shawn! Shawn!

I tried to pull the hell off, but I missed first gear and the car stalled. That gave Bootleg enough time to pick up a bottle and throw it at my whip. It smashed on the driver's side window. Luckily, I didn't have the window rolled down, cuz it would have hit me right in the grill and messed up my pretty face. LOL. I got the car in gear and rolled out. I could see her in the rear view mirror cursing and gesticulating.

Change was necessary. I talked about it before, but this time I had to be about it. I couldn't get caught up in those strange situations anymore. I basically became a hermit for awhile. When people would try to get me to go out, a big neon sign flashed in my head that said "BOOTLEG! BOOTLEG!" And this time I heeded the warnings. The whole Bootleg scenario made me lose interest in the club scene.

That's not to say that I didn't do anything. I became the king of the house gathering. My crib was the number one spot for drinking, smoking and general debauchery for the next year. And that's also not to say that I wouldn't find a new stalker in the next year, cuz ummm. yeah, I did. But at least I never saw Bootleg anymore. I wonder how many damn kids she has now.

Okay, I'm glad to be finished with this damn story. It was so much stuff in here that I forgot until I started writing it. I can already tell I'm gonna be one of those old cats that tell 3 hour stories while his grandkids try to sneak away. LOL. I tell you the truth is stranger than fiction. Oh yeah, remember this happened a long ass time ago. Any mistakes that may have been made can be chalked up to youthful indiscretion. Right? Right? Happy Monday, Peeps!