Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Can We Fire Him Now?

I am a lifelong New York Knicks fan. Peep the blog colors. These are the colors of the Knicks (and my college Savannah State University.) Seriously, since 1983, I've loved them. The year I fell in love with hip hop (Run-DMC's "Rockbox") is the same year I fell in love with Knicks. I remember like it was yesterday, Bernard King and the boys running over the league only to fall to the Celtics in a 7 game playoff series. I remember thinking at the time, in my 9 year old mind, next year will be our year.



Over the years, we (and I say we, cuz that's how much of a fan I am) had some close calls, but something always seemed to get in the way of our championship. Michael Fucking Jordan (I hated him until like 98) every year dunking on my boys, Reggie Fucking Miller (I still hate him to this day) scoring 8 points in 16 seconds, Patrick Ewing blowing a layup when he should have dunked it at the end of the game, Charles Smith missing like 6 shots in a row on the same possession, John Starks going 1 for 18 in game 7 of the NBA finals against Houston. We got to the finals but never won it. Through all that I was a proud Knicks fan. I could always count on them to put a competitive team on the floor and be on national TV so I could see them play. But then something strange happened. A saboteur was named President of the New York Knickerbockers. His name: Isiah Thomas.





Isiah is an NBA legend. He was a great player back in the day. I didn't like him because his team, the Pistons were a rival, but I always respected him. Even when he kissed Magic Johnson at center court, I still had respect for him. I didn't even trip when he bankrupted an entire basketball league when he was the owner of the CBA. When I heard he was gonna be running my Knicks, I was actually excited. We had been slumping for awhile and fresh blood was needed to turn things around. How wrong was I?







Instead of being a savior, Isiah has made the Knicks even less competitive. He is the king of making stupid trades, giving fat contracts to scrubs and signing too many players that play the same position. I thought after last year, I would have been rid of him, but then he named himself as the coach too. Everybody kept telling me, give him a chance. It's not his fault. Things will get better. The Knicks played pretty well for awhile. Things were starting to look up again. There was a chance I could see the Knicks in the playoffs again. Then they gave Isiah a contract extension and the Knicks immediately took the first train to Suckyville again. I knew it was gonna happen. For 3 years I've been calling for the Knicks to fire Isiah, but they didn't do it.



Fast forward to yesterday. Isiah was found liable for sexually harassing a female executive while working for the Knicks. Can you please fire him now? What has to happen before you get rid of this guy? I'll admit, I don't know if he did it or not, but can we please just use this as an excuse to get rid of Isiah? I'm tired of the Knicks sucking and not making the playoffs. I would like to see them win a championship some time before I die. I don't want to be like those Boston Red Sox fans that waited their entire lives to see them win a World Series. I would like to be able to see the Knicks on TV without buying that damn NBA Season Pass. Can they please come on free TV? That's not gonna happen until they get good again, and they wont be good again until they fire Isiah Thomas. So, please lets make that happen...expeditiously. Stop letting Isiah sabotage my team. February 29th, I will be at Phillips Arena when the Knicks come to play Atlanta. Please don't let Isiah be there. This lifelong Knicks fan's patience is running thin.