Thursday, May 29, 2008

Say You Say Me (editted to include the whole story)

Okay, I edited the post to include the entire story. I added some links and stuff too.


May 1st 1988 – Savannah, Georgia

I woke up for school like any other day. The Today Show played in the background as I ate breakfast. For most of my fellow 8th graders, it was set to be a good day. We had our chorus field trip to Downtown Savannah this day. That meant that there would be very little schooling and a whole lot of playing around. It was the annual May Day celebration. May Day was a real corny thing where kids would run around the May Pole with ribbons and stuff (this isn't Savannah, but this is the basic idea) and just generally look a fool. I suppose it was cute if you were of another persuasion. I was going because I was a member of the DeRenne Middle School Chorus. In addition to the elementary aged kids frolicking, all the choruses from the school district would be singing throughout the day. The previous year, I went and found it a very good way to hang out with kids from other schools, which is something I never did. In the preceding months, I anticipated May Day like a kid waiting on Santa. It was, after all, the only day of the school year that I could legally slack off.

But something was in the air this May Day morning. As I put on my freshly ironed baby blue chorus shirt, a feeling of dread took over. I didn’t want to go. I violently did not want to go. Why, you ask? My trepidation was a result of what I had to do when I got there: Sing a solo. Now this may not seem like a big deal to some of you, but since my move to Savannah 2 years previous, I had been affected by a crippling shyness. People didn’t get me, and rather than over power them with my personality, I retreated. I was able to speak to classmates and people I knew, but getting to know new people was not on the agenda. For the past few weeks during rehearsals, I belted out the song like nobody’s business. Say You, Say Me by Lionel Richie. We were doing it as a duet and it probably would have made more sense to sing Endless Love if we just had to sing some Li-o-nel stuff. It was me and De.dr.a Wr.ight. (pause for drooling.) She was the prettiest girl in class. Dedra had this long black hair and a shy smile that could light up a room. (I’ll see if I can find a picture when I get home.) For some reason I wasn’t shy when we were practicing in the chorus room, located in a trailer towards the back of the school. I hit my notes, I nailed our hand choreography, I mastered the “oh so sincere” R&B cat look. I was ready. Me and Dedra were gonna turn some heads down in Johnson Square…

I sat silently on the bus as we rode across town to school. I mentally rehearsed the song which by now I knew like the back of my hand. My stomach started hurting at the prospect of standing up in front of all those strangers and singing. The pain didn't stop as I went to Mr. Aliffi's homeroom class. I remember that people were talking to me, but I was paying them any attention. I went to first period, I don't remember what class that was, and then it was time for our field trip. I headed to the chorus room where we were all meeting up. My homeboys Chavon and Derrick were waiting for me there. They were far better singers than I, but they didn't hold that against me. They were encouraging about my solo. We sat and talked in our matching baby blue chorus shirts.

"You ready, Rashan?"
"I think so. I know the song, I'm just nervous."
"No need to be nervous. All them honeys from the other schools are gonna be watching. Just sing to one of them."

That wasn't really helping. In fact that made me even more nervous. I had resigned myself to the fact that parents and politicians would be watching, but cute girls? Did I mention how painfully shy I was? It really was quite pathetic. I didn't know if I could go through with it. The chorus got on the bus and headed to downtown Savannah, practicing our songs. The chorus teacher, whose first name was Robin, but whose last name I can't remember directed us. Some of the songs we were singing were "The Rose", "Fifty Nifty" (Fifty Nifty United States from thirteen original colonies,Shout 'em, scout 'em, Tell all about 'em, One by one,til we've given a day to every state in the USA in the USA in the USA - I remembered these lyrics before I looked them up. LOL) and Body Electric. Oh, yeah... and my solo that I so did not want to do.

The sun was beaming down that late Savannah morning. I don't know the temperature, but I do know I was sweating. We watched the kids running around the may pole and eye stalked the girls from the other middle school chorus. Then it was time for our performance. We got into place on the risers and waited for our introduction. The mayor introduced us, so it was mad crowded with onlookers. As we did our first few songs, my mind was wandering in anticipation of my solo. My choreography was off. I was pretty much lip synching because I just couldn't concentrate on anything but that damn Lionel Richie song. How did I let them talk me into this? I'm a background singer. I'm not the star. Then it came time for me and Dedra's song.

We were supposed to walk to the two microphone stands that stood in front of the rest of the chorus. I say supposed to because, although Dedra walked down, I froze. I was literally paralyzed by stage fright. I tried, but I couldn't move. Chavon and Derrick kept nudging me, but I couldn't move. It was mad uncomfortable. *crickets chirping* The chorus teacher Robin ??? mouthed at me to come on, I shook my head no. That's all I could manage. Luckily, Chavon knew the song and took my place. It was probably for the best. He was way better than me anyway. After the song was over, I was just fine. I did the rest of our chorus performance like nothing happened. The little gay choreography was on point, I hit all the harmony like I was supposed to, I even "sang with a smile" like Robin used to always tell us to do.

On the ride home, I got teased a little, but not relentlessly. Everybody was too busy praising Chavon and Dedra for their performance. I was just relieved that it was over. That's right, ol scary Rashan punked out. Did I mention how much I hate that damn song? If I don't ever hear "Say You, Say Me" again in my life, it'll be just fine.

Okay, I'm off to try to repress this memory. Talk to you later. LOL!