Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Maybe I'm Selfish

This gas situation is ridiculous in Atlanta. Just about every station near me is out of gas because of Hurricane Ike. That was like 2-3 weeks ago, but we still don't have regular gas coming. I can’t tell you how disconcerting it is to ride by gas stations with no prices on the signs. That’s the universal sign for No Gas – Keep Driving. Yeah, so I was on E when I got home from work, but couldn’t find any gas nearby. As I cursed myself for driving past those neighborhoods by my job that had gas, but long lines, I decided that I would find some place early in the AM when everybody else was sleep. I checked the local news stations website and found some gas at a Quik Trip about 5 miles from me. Around 1 in the morning, I filled up with some $ 3.97 regular unleaded with no line. I was happy.

But here’s where the selfish part comes in… This would be the perfect opportunity to call in to work with no consequences. I mean, they can’t blame me if there’s no gas in the city right? I can sit at home and watch movies or play around on the internet. I could plan a long weekend out of town. I could just veg out and catch up on the sleep that I’ve been neglecting for months. I want to call work and tell them I’m not coming. I can hear it now…

“Hello, thank you for calling Massive Corporate Conglomerate”

“Yeah, this is Rashan Jamal. I’m not gonna be able to make it to work today.”

“I’m sorry to hear that. Are you sick?”

“Nah, I’m a hurricane victim.”

“Hurricane? There’s no hurricane in Atlanta.”

“I’m calling in gas”

“You aren’t coming to work because you have gas? Have you taken some Maalox?”

“Nope, I don’t have gas. I’m out of gas. Can’t find any cuz of Hurricane Ike! Where’s FEMA!!!”

So why can’t I do this? This would be the week when I’m training, so I can’t stay home. I have to be there for my mentees. It feels like a waste of a fake emergency situation. Maybe, I’m selfish, but I wish I could exploit this for my own personal benefit. If I have to go to work, then I think everybody else should too.