Friday, September 5, 2008

Word?!?

I pulled up to my crib at 11:00 last night. A jeep sat idling in my usual parking space. Actually, she was in 2 spaces: Mine and the one that usually is empty next to mine. I grumbled a little – internally of course. We don’t have assigned parking. To the left of this spot was an old teenager of a ride. I recognized this as my sister’s car. She had come up from Savannah last Friday, so the kids could hang with their father over the weekend. She still hadn’t left, but that’s another post. Anyway, I went inside and ate and packed for my latest trip to Gainesville to see Jameil. Around 2:30, I went to put my bag in the car and didn’t see her car. I was pretty sure she was still there, I didn’t hear her leave, and the kids were still there, so I went in the spare bedroom. Sure enough, she was in there sleep…

“Hey, Nikki… Your car isn’t outside…”

Somebody done stole her car from right in front of the crib. It’s not like she had a baller mobile. Our family curse prohibits that. If anyone has a new car, then something will happen to it. I personally have given up on driving a car made this millennium. It just doesn’t work. From accidents to engine problems to strange never before heard of problems, it’s almost like we’re better off with the old joints. Anyway, this is the first time a car has been stolen. I drove around the complex to see if maybe some young punks had taken it for a joy ride, but that was to no avail. I didn’t see it anywhere in the complex. While my sister called the police, I drove outside the complex and swore I saw the whip at a barbershop nearby. It was backed in, so I couldn’t see the license plate, and there was a woman standing in front of it. I thought about driving up on her, but Jameil talked some sense into me. Who knows who is in the car and what kind of weaponry they had. So, I posted up in front of the strip club and watched for awhile. Other cars started pulling up next to it, and it kinda looked shady, so I dipped out and left them to their drug deal.

I got back home and heard my sister talking to the police. These cats didn’t send anyone out to investigate or anything. Instead, they said that they would have a police report ready in 5 days. Pretty much it seems like she ain’t never gonna see that car again and the cops won’t be doing anything. It was crazy. I never lock my car doors and I may or may not leave my ipod in plain sight, not to mention whatever else I forget to bring in the house and nothing has ever happened. But they straight took my sister’s car without any of us hearing anything. This morning I went to get my haircut (at another barbershop) and saw that the car was still sitting there. This time in broad daylight I was able to see that it was not my sister’s car, just one that looked like it. I don’t know what’s gonna happen next. How or when my sister will get back to Savannah, whether or not she will get her car back, nothing. It was just nuts. Nikki was and is remarkably calm about the situation. I don’t quite understand it, but that’s how my family is. We don’t get too excited about much. I know this much though. If I ever find them cats, I just want to ask them a question:

WHO STEALS A 94 OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS?!?!? YOU CAN’T POSSIBLY MAKE ANY MONEY OFF THIS CAR!!!

Anyway, I’m off to Florida as soon as I get off work. I’ll check you all out after the weekend. Y’all be easy!