Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Conversation With The Kids

"Uncle, we need your help"

"Okay, Dominique. What's up?"

"We need you to use your credit card for Mommy's gift."

"What are trying to get her?"

We want to get her a trip to Costa Rica."

"??????" (The actual sound was the Scooby Doo confused sound)



Let me explain. Dominique is 10 and her brother Tarik is 11. My sister sometimes talks about trips she wants to take. Costa Rica is one of them. Somehow, these beautiful and talented and intelligent kids got it into their head that they would provide the means for her to take this vacation. I just couldn't crush their dreams so I had to operate delicately and trick them out of this sweet, yet insane idea.



"Have you researched how much that would cost?"

"We found a ticket for $684 (or something like that)"

"Do you have $684?"

"No"

"Then how exactly do you propose to pay for this trip? I'm sure your mommy doesn't want you to spend all your money on her."

"We are gonna email Grandma and Uncle J and you to see if they can help."



Sigh... so industrious. Let me try this from another angle.



"Who is gonna watch you guys while she is gone?"

"You can watch us."

"You know that I would love to do that, but what about school?

"We can take our Spring Break whenever we want, since we are home schooled."

"Yeah, but I have to work, too. I can't have you guys by yourselves all night while I'm at work."

"We can stay with Uncle J or stay with Daddy that week."

"Yeah, maybe."



I see that tactic isn't working either. I'm about out of ideas... Wait here's one.



"You know that if your mom goes out to Costa Rica, she'll have to get a passport. Then it won't be a surprise."



Silence... I think that worked.



Wow, these kids are special... and I mean that in as good a way as possible. I made a suggestion that was more in line with their economic status. They are gonna send my sister to a spa. I told them whatever amount they put in I would match it. I love them doggone kids. Let's just hope they don't have hundreds of dollars in their piggy banks. I told my sister about what they were trying to do, but I didn't tell her what the final gift was. Of course she would rather just have them make her something, but I couldn't convince them to take that route. I'm not sure if she still reads my blog. If so, sorry for ruining your surprise. LOL