Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Don't Speak

How can I stop people from revealing way too much information to me. Here is the latest example of a conversation that I tried to avoid. Yesterday, at work. I'm feeling like crap, but I'm soldiering through. I'm getting ready to go to lunch when this female co worker stops me.

"I think I have to leave"

"Okay, what's wrong? You sick or something?"

"Yeah, I had surgery last week..."

"Okay, let me stop you right there. I don't need to know. Let's just go talk to a manager so you can leave."

"My surgery was for..."

"Stop, I don't need to know."

"I had surgery for.."

"Really, its none of my business. I don't want to know. Just go talk to Kim ( manager on duty)

"I had surgery last week...

"Seriously, I don't want to know."

"I had surgery on my ovaries last week. I'm taking some hormones and I'm not reacting well to it."

"God, I really didn't need to know that."

"I can't hardly focus. I don't know where I am right now."

"So, you can't focus, but you want to drive home? Do you have someone to come get you?"

"I had surgery last week..."

"Yeah, we established that... Can you please go talk to Kim? I can't give you permission to leave. Just tell her what's up.

"Okay, but I had surgery last week on my ovaries. And I'm taking these hormone pills...

"Yeah, don't tell me. Go see Kim. Come on, I'll go with you"

People just tell me too much. I tried to shut it down, but short of just gagging her, I dont know what else I could have done.