Monday, February 4, 2008

Mini-Me

Spell check still ain't working and I'm way too lazy to proof read. I'm not getting paid for this, ya know? LOL

What's happening, people? I took a couple of days off from my computer so now I'm just getting back to the blogging grind. Don't curse me out, I'm not blog breaking, it was just for a weekend. And what a jam-packed weekend it was. There was Su.per Bo.wl, in which the Gi.ants represented and sent those damn cocky Pat.riots to defeat. There was the time I spent with my little 3 month old nephew this weekend, the marathon phone conversations I had and wait... there was something else I was supposed to tell you about. Oh well, I can't remember what it is...

I'm playing. Of course I have to tell you about the blind date. Saturday evening I made good on my bet and hung out with the blind date, who shall henceforth be known as Mini-Me. No, she's not a midget, we all know I am afraid of them, but as the story proceeds you'll understand why I've attached that moniker to her. I did take all of your advice under advisement, and after speaking with her, I decided that we would go to L.oca Lu.na (it looks a little different than the website since they just changed locations). It's the sister lounge of the spot I go to with my friends all the time. That way if she likes the place, but does not like me, I won't have to worry about seeing her in my spot. See, I be thinking. Our plans were to meet at 9:00. I still wasn't sure if I would recognize her, because of the faraway picture, but once I got there I realized it should be too much of a problem. There weren't too many Black faces in the crowd, lots of Latins and Asians, with the requisite White faces too. Given my propensity for getting lost, I allowed enough time to arrive early, even in the case of a few inevitable wrong turns. I got there at 8:35.

I chilled at the front for a few, when Mini Me (her real name is the same as my favorite deceased R&B songstress) called and said she had arrived. I met her by the door and we exchanged pleasantries. We still had some time before our table was ready, so we made our way to the bar. I ordered a traditional caipirinha while she had a mojito. It was her first one ever, and she was very impressed with it. It was good to know that she wasn't a teetotaler. (I put that word in there just for you. LOL) I seem to always get hooked up with women who don't drink and don't want me to drink either.

We held an awkward conversation for a few minutes. I guess we were both trying to figure each other out. It got better as we sat down at our table and ordered some tapas. We conversed about a myriad of topics. I noticed that she seemed to be agreeing with everything I was saying. Here a few examples of things we had in common: She loves to laugh - which is perfect when you are around me. I like just about nothing more than laughter. Her favorite TV show is "Lost" - That's in my top 2. She loves old school hip hop music - you know that's me. She likes to stay home most of the time - yeah, me too. Favorite movie - Fight Club (although she also likes The Color Purple which I have yet to complete) - I love that movie too. She is a writer like me, she went to an HBCU like me, I could go on and on since as we further engaged in conversation, there were a lot more similar interests that came up. It was almost like I was out on a date with myself. Thus her nickname: Mini-Me. I'm older and bigger, so she gets to be the Mini, while I am the original.

One of things that most impressed me about Mini-Me was that she seemed to have her priorities in order. We talked about her son and how she doesn't let anyone meet him unless they are serious. She's involved in his education, and has a good relationship with his father. The kid is with his father every other weekend, and that's the only time she will go out. So much for inviting her to the Jill Scott concert (its on the wrong weekend.) I can respect that especially after dating some other women, who see their kids less than the grandparents and will do anything to get away from them.

We had a few more drinks and some eats, listened to the latin band that was playing (I had no idea what they were saying, but they were good) and then it was time to call it a night. Only, it was still kind of early. We decided to talk and get to know each other more at a bookstore close to where she lives that was open late. I followed her to the spot which was in my old hood, before I moved to the eastside. We passed the time, chatting and browsing through books, cracking jokes about the horrible hood fiction, perusing the photography books (one of her hobbies... kinda me too. Except, I only take pictures of myself. LOL). We ended the night with a hug (nothing too provocative, but not quite a church hug), and a tentative plan to get together in two weeks. It was a pretty good date. Sorry, no drama to speak of. I'm not in love at first sight, but I'm also not running away. We'll see what happens.

At this point, you are probably waiting for one of my overly drawn out descriptions of her physical appearance. You know the ones, where I reveal my inner stalker by noticing way too much about a person? I'm not gonna do that tonight. I'm a little tired right now, so maybe I'll do that one later. Suffice it to say, that she was attractive and all my worrying about the vague picture were all for naught. I had a good time, inspite of my initial apprehension. I'll be sure to tell you about date #2, if and when it happens. Happy Monday, Everybody!!!

P.S. - GO GIAN.TS!! I'll not like them again, next year, but I appreciate them getting that victory! That was one of the most exciting Sup.er Bow.ls in recent memory. I just about lost my voice screaming at the TV. How about I went to a Su.per Bo.wl party that ended up being just me and the maybe-weds? How is that consid.ered a party? It was all good, but really, I'm a need them to invite more people next time, or perhaps I'll host the next one. Wait, that would require people knowing where I live. Scratch that. Next year, I'm going to Scores!