Thursday, July 17, 2008

Thursday Thirteen: Old School Rappers

As you already know by now, I am a hip hop head. Been that way since 1983. Don't ask me that question from Brown Sugar, or we'll be here all night. I got stories of how I fell in love with hip-hop. For the most part, I still got love for hip hop, but its getting increasingly hard to find some that I actually like. I don't wanna say that hip hop is dead, because there's always been bad music that was popular. I can't blame Soulja Boy for killing it, because there were always jokers that I felt should never pick up the mic. For Thursday Thirteen, I'm gonna show some appreciation to some of the cats I used to rock with, and others that were put on my sucker list. Some of the people I didn't like may surprise you, so stick around. For the most part, I've gained an appreciation of what role they played in my upbringing, so I don't hate like I used to. Anyway, without further adieu, here are my 2 Thursday Thirteen lists: The Old School Rapper edition...

13 Artists I Used To (And Still) Dig:

1. Big Daddy Kane
2. Eric B. and Rakim
3. GangStarr
4. Public Enemy
5. Boogie Down Productions
6. EPMD
7. NWA
8. Pete Rock and CL Smooth
9. Tribe Called Quest
10. MC Lyte
11. LL Cool J
12. Special Ed
13. De La Soul

13 Artists That I Did Not (But Might Now) Dig

1. MC Hammer
2. Vanilla Ice
3. Run DMC
4. Too Short
5. 2 Live Crew
6. Beastie Boys
7. Easy E
8. Roxanne (any of them)
9. Kool Moe Dee
10. Rico Suave
11. Marky Mark
12. Kool Keith (Ultramagnetic MC's)
13. Any R&B cat that tried to rap