Thursday, July 31, 2008

Thursday Thirteen: Movies I Can Watch Over (and over) Again

Today's Thursday Thirteen topic is :Movies I Can Watch Over (and over) Again. These are not necessarily my favorite movies, but ones that I will watch repeatedly. They are in no particular order, but you'll see that halfway down the list it gets all alphabetical. That's because I was looking at my Netflix 5 star movie ratings so I didn't forget anything. Turns out, I didn't need any help. I got way more than 13.

1 Pulp Fiction My favorite movie. This joint is just sick.

2. Fight Club I fought watching this for years because I wasn't interested in a movie just about dudes punching each other. The movie is so much more and has a crazy plot twist that I wont spoil in case someone hasn't seen it.

3. Friday I watched this movie so many times when I was still a weed smoker. I pretty much can recite this movie.

4. Belly The coolest looking movie ever. Hype Williams was my favorite video director and this movie is like a video turned movie.

5. Happy Gilmore Whenever I feel like a light and silly movie, this is one of my favs.

6. Scarface - I actually haven't seen it in a few years. Mostly because every Black man under the age of 43 likes this movie. LOL Still one of the classics.

7. Mo Betta Blues - Another great stylish looking movie. My favorite Spike Lee joint. It has all his trademarks in it.

8. Arsenic and Old Lace Classic comedy from the 40's I think. My favorite line. "There are thirteen bodies in the cellar" Regardless of how macabre that sounds, this is just a slapstick comedy perfectly done.

9. The 40 Year Old Virgin - I swear I saw at least 10 minutes of this movie everyday for 3 months when it was on HBO (and the litany of HBO channels)

10. The Killer - This is a cool movie. Choreographed gun fights. Slow motion shootings. Doves flying out of nowhere. Get the dubbed version for the awkward, but still somehow compelling dialogue. Also featured in one of my favorite albums: Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx.

11. From Dusk Till Dawn - Another Tarantino joint, although he didn't direct this one, just wrote it. Good mindless entertainment with some good acting by Harvey Keitel and George Clooney.

12. Purple Rain - Prince. I don't really need to say anything else, but to see my views on this movie, check this old post from a coupla years ago

13. Fear of a Black Hat - A mockumentary about hip hop that is 1 million times funnier than CB4. Not many people I know have seen this one. Me and my brother and sister used to crack up at this one. Got it from the video store one day when nothing else was out and wound up loving this movie.

Part 2 - cuz I couldn't narrow it down to just 13. Here are 13 more movies...

14. Kill Bill - QT, again. The fight scenes are ridiculously entertaining. The story is good too.

15. The Matrix - Everybody has seen this, right? Started all kinds of trends in film making. I don't usually go for science fiction type joints, but this one got me.

16. Rocky III - Man, everytime I see this, I still root for Mr. T to beat Rocky. Me and Kareem used to crack up at this movie. My favorite quote from Mr. T: "Hey, Woman. Hey, Woman! Listen here. Since your old man ain't got no heart, maybe you like to see a real man. I bet you stay up late every night dreamin' you had a real man, don't ya? I'll tell you what. Bring your pretty little self over to my apartment tonight, and I'll show you a real man." (fast forward to 1:30)

17. Raw - Mad funny, yo! Its like 25 years old and still funnier than any other comedy movie. Plus that whole "It Wasn't Me" thing? I'm laughing just thinking about it.

18. Se7en - I love movies about serial killers. I know that sounds weird, but I do. I like to see the new ways to kill people. I have a list myself... for fiction purposes only, of course. This was one of the best. Plus the atmosphere of the movie was just dope.

19. Shaft - The original, not that Samuel Jackson remake crap. Shaft was a bad mutha...(shut yo mouth)

20 Silence of the Lambs - Classic, right here. Love the Hannibal Lecter performance and the dynamic between the lead characters. I'll watch this pretty much anytime I see it on TV.

21. South Park Bigger Longer Uncut - Hilarity personified! Its crude, profane and politically incorrect, but I kinda love this movie. Blame Canada!!!

22 Tommy Boy - Kinda like Happy Gilmore, its just a dumb, funny movie.

23. A View To A Kill - My favorite James Bond movie. I've seen them all but I think this was the first one I saw in the theaters so therefore its my favorite.

24. Foxy Brown - Blaxploitation? yep! Sexploitation? indeed! Pam Grier naked for most of the movie? I'm there! LOL

25. Amelie - A French movie about a woman who makes it her mission in life to make other people happy and then finds love herself. Its not corny as it sounds. It's quirky, strange and just heartwarming. Don't tell anybody I said that. LOL

26. Love Jones - Another movie I can probably recite. Everything about this movie I like. The music, the actors, the fact that they looked like regular old Black people that I could hang out with, even the *gasp* poetry. I do kinda hate this movie for inspiring legions of horrible wannabe spoken word artists, but taking the film on its merits, I'm still a fan.