Thursday, November 29, 2007

Respect

Just a couple of random thoughts thrown together into a post...

I wish I liked Alicia Keys. I tried, but for some reason I just cant get into her. I mean, I like what she stands for as far as real talent and musicianship, if thats a word. I even like a few of her singles, but invariably when I listen to her albums, i just find myself underwhelmed. Bored, even. It bothers me because I know she is very talented, but I guess I just don't like what she likes. I respect the hell outta Ms. Keys, but I dont think I like her.

That's not unlike Mos Def. I want to like him too. When he was with BlackStar and rapping I did. When he first started acting I was like he's doing a good job repping hip hop. When he would speak at colleges and stuff, he seemed reasonably intelligent. Then I bought his solo album. I tried to like it for a while, before I realized it was pretty darn horrible. I gave him another chance with his next album, but I downloaded it. I wasnt about to make that same mistake again. That one was pretty horrible too. And his acting? It just rubs me the wrong way now. I don't what happened. I respect him, but I don't like him as an artist.

I respect what Will Smith does as an entertainer. He's good natured, talented, but I just find his brand of humor to be off putting. It's nothing personal about him, but I just would rather sit through a kindergarten play than watch one of his movies. But I do respect what he does.

See, I'm not always a hater. I just like what I like. I can at least respect what these people do, even if I not entertained by it.