Friday, November 2, 2007

You Can't Mean Mug In A Lavender Shirt

Today was a strange day at work. My manager took a vacation day and basically left me in charge. It wasn't explicitly stated that I was in charge, but everybody seemed to think I was. I'm not going to lie, I loved every minute of it. I loved people coming to me for every little thing. I loved being able to handle all kinds of issues. It reminded me of last year when I was the man, instead of a peon. It was cool for a day, but I wouldn't want the responsibility full time again. Here's where the problem came.

About halfway through the day, there was damn near a mutiny. Apparently, everything that I was doing right, my co workers felt our manager was doing wrong. A spontaneous griping session broke out. I didn't like being caught in the middle of it. I pride myself on staying out of the whole office politics scene. I do my job and I go home. I don't want to hear about how he never responds to your emails, or how your computer has been broken for 2 weeks and I got it fixed in 2 minutes. I sure don't want to hear about how he has been ignoring your vacation requests, and I got it taken care of. This is just temporary. Tomorrow, I go back to being regular Joe.

I heard at least 6 times today "Rashan, you should be our manager." Maybe it's true. But I don't want it. If I go that route again, I know that I'll get comfortable and not work towards my career goal. I don't want to be a mid management stooge again. I've been there, and although I was good at what I did, it took over my life. I couldn't go out on a Friday night without getting a phone call about some so called emergency. I couldn't relax on a Saturday without checking my work email from home. The thought of doing that again made me tense. I wear my thoughts on my face alot of the time, so I involuntarily started mean mugging. It looked a little like this... minus the 5 o clock shadow.



At that very moment, sexy green shirt girl (I don't know her name) walked by and said... "You can't mean mug in a lavender shirt. It just doesn't work!" For some reason that was the funniest thing to me. I immediately let those unpleasant thoughts go. I haven't even applied for the job, so why was I worried about it? Yes, I'm being groomed, but they can't make me do something I don't want to do. And hell, maybe I do want to do it. Regardless, there was no need to be looking hard, especially while I was looking resplendent in my lavender shirt. LOL. I replaced the mean mug with a smile, something like this...minus the 5 O'clock shadow.


Post Script
I was reading Jameil's blog and she mentioned something about posting every day in November for National Blog Writing Month. I'm not usually a follower, but I'm gonna give it a try. Be forewarned: This may mean lots of cliffhanger 3 part stories and tags/memes, but I think I'm up for the challenge. I've made it through 2 days, just 28 to go. Everybody have a good weekend, and if you aren't doing anything check back on Saturday to see if I actually wrote something.
Peace and Blessings from the guy in the lavender shirt.