Monday, June 16, 2008

I Put On For My City

Big wheels big straps you know I like it super sized
Passengers a red bone her weave look like some curly fries
Young Jeezy - I Put On

That is the funniest line I've heard in a minute. Anyway, as you all know I was in Savannah this weekend. I had big plans of taking pictures of all my old stomping grounds and posting them with little anecdotes, but mother nature decided she didn't want to read that blog post. I was driving around taking pictures when the skies opened up. Savannah is known for its random pop up thunderstorms that last about 15 minutes, followed by a return to bright sun and oppressive heat. But today was different. The rain lasted a good two hours and I wasn't able to get all my pictures. In fact it was raining so hard that the streets were flooded for a minute and I was temporarily blinded while driving on the bridge to my mom's neighborhood. Maybe next time I go down there, I'll be able to do that post, but for now, we'll just deal with what we have.


It was mom dukes birthday. The party was cool. Moms cried a couple of times, but held it together better than I thought she would. She used to cry at commercials, but maintained most of the night. My sister in law actually brought out the first tears of the night, with her song. Any guesses as to what corny song she sung? Of course it was "W.in.d Bene.ath M.y Win.gs." I thought that was funny because my sister and I were just joking about playing that song during the slideshow of old pictures we had prepared for the party. We thought that was just waaaay too corny. As far as my speech, I never got around to writing it, so I freestyled it. I had the concept of what I wanted to talk about, and stuck to it and that's all I have to say about that. Here are some pictures from the party. Most of them were on other peoples cameras including the video camera that I was operating for much of the night.



My Mom(in the dark) Her Husband, My nephew and some people I should probably know

The Party Sign






"The Purse Cake" my niece made. The strap is a fruit roll up


When that joint was over, I headed back to my moms crib and chilled for a minute. I was supposed to meet my old friend Senita who I've not seen since 99 or 2000. It was mad hard to get out of the house. I felt like I was back in high school trying to convince my mom to let me go out. I was like I'm 33 now. Can I just leave without an interrogation? I swear it took like an hour to get the house keys and be able to head out. I didn't even change clothes because I knew that woulda took even longer and I might never get out the house. Anyway, once I escaped, I called Senita to find out what was up for the evening. We decided that I would come pick her up, since she had already been drinking all day and go to this club called Mu.tua.ls. As far as I knew I had never been there, but once I got to her crib and rode to the club, I remembered that I had been there before when it had a different name. I don't know how I can recall anything, since all my going out stories involved either weed, drink, or weed and drink, but as soon as I saw the spot, I remembered that as being an old folks, I mean grown and sexy club.


We went in and paid the $5 cover charge (I don't remember the last time I paid $5 to get into a spot. Mad cheap.) The first thing I noticed was that they didn't check me for weapons. That was a little off putting since this is Savannah, and Savannah niggas shoot, but it was all good. Walked up stairs to the club portion of the building and it was instantly hot. Nah, scratch that. Hot is an understatement. It was a sweat shop in that piece and crowded as hell. I think half of Savannah's population was in the club. We eventually burrowed our way to the bar, and then to the dance floor. Well, I didn't quite make it to the dance floor, but Senita was out there for like half a song before the heat took over and we had to dip. We hung out downstairs in the restaurant portion (which was not selling food) of the club. Talked for a good while, laughed at some old stories, told some new ones. And I can't forget the talking about people. There were some real characters in there. Like the old man in the electric blue suit with the beret. Or the guy with the orange gators on, or the guy with painted multi color s.eb.agos... So much comedy, so little time, so I'll move on. Just a couple more things about the club... I saw a girl I went with high school with but I couldn't remember her name, so I didn't speak. She didn't speak either, but she was looking at me. Also, if I ever need a self esteem boost, I'll just go to the club in Savannah. I got mad attention. I mean, I coulda found my next stalker in the club that night.



Senita Close Up

Okay, so after we got tired of the club, we decided to hit up the beach. I remember back in the day, I used to think that going to the beach was like going to "Africa? That's far!" Name that movie... but after living in the A and driving so much it was nothing. I know, its weird for friends to go to the beach together at night, but it really wasn't like that. It had been a long time since either of us had been there, so we went. It was cool. We walked in the darkness and watched the waves and talked. After a while it wasn't weird anymore. It was just two old friends reconnecting. I know this much, if I had some different company though, it would have been different out there. LOL. Anyway, I got a few flicks from that and the ride home, but I probably shouldn't share them, since they look kinda like I had drugged and had my way with Senita from the way she was passed out sleep in the car. LOL. Dropped her off around 4:30 and was back at my mom's crib before 5. Washed the sand off of me and went to sleep. Here are the pictures I can share.



Me on the beach. It had been a long day. Don't talk about me. LOL



Right by the water


Washing the sand off


Passed Out On The Way Home

Sunday afternoon, I was gonna do the whole reliving my past in pictures thing, but it didn't exactly work out. My niece made me a "good for a 10 year old" omelet and then I went to the car to make a phone call since I can't get service in my mom's house. When it became clear that I wasn't gonna be able to get in the shower anytime soon, (too many people, not enough bathrooms and hot water) I went for a ride while I talked on the phone. I rolled by my alma mater, but the back entrance I used to go in was gated up. I was gonna go to the main entrance, but instead took a right to see my old apartment. This apartment was really cheap, but I had some good memories there. Again, they were all drink and drug fueled. The best $290 a month I've spent. I actually was heading to another old spot when the rain started. I was downtown taking a picture of Lad.y and Son's for my food obsessed homey, when the rain started. I was also looking for Froz.en Pa.radise, which wasn't there anymore, but I was told moved to a new location. That's when the skies opened up and killed my dreams of taking pictures of my other apartment, my high school and middle school, the other clubs we used to frequent...etc etc etc... Judging by the length of this post, I really didn't need anymore pictures and stories. I be writing too much.



You happy Jameil? There's your restaurant


SSU, represent!!!





I'm high just looking at my old crib...


My mom's crazy hall of pictures. Oh yeah, and my brother/nephew Nate

I got back to Atlanta around 2. I have to go to work at 11 today, and then 9AM Tues-Thursday.. That's gonna be an adjustment. I'm thinking about just staying up and then sleeping when I get home from work. Either way, I need to stop writing this now. Have a good Monday! Oh, and I forgot that I didn't add any details of my blogger meet up with La and Joy! Hopefully one of them (hint hint) can write it up so I don't have to. Until then remember...

"Jesus is the only one that can make it rain!" - The Joy 2008