Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Throwbacks

A Random Throwback Rashan Picture

Life has a way of bringing people and things that you thought you lost back to you. The last week has been full of throwbacks. So far they have all been good things.
It started on Sunday. My sister was putting together a slideshow for my moms party this Saturday. Lots of old pictures to sift through, and old memories coming back. Now you know I think I have almost total recall when it comes to the old stuff, but some of these pictures brought even more repressed memories flooding back. Like my Gordon Gartrelle shirt with the diagonal buttons.
.
That was a shirt I used to wear back in 6th grade before I moved to Savannah. It's hideous, I know, but at the time I loved that shirt. Couple that with the faux jheri curl (for the record its my natural hair with lots of water. No chemicals.) I rocked and it could be considered a pretty embarrassing picture. But for me it's not. It reminds me of the time right before I moved to Savannah, when life was one big melange of playing outside, riding bikes farther than my mother knew, flipping baseball cards, watching Tran.sfor.mers, GI Jo.e and Th.unde.rcats amongst other cartoons and cursing. Yep, we were just coming into our own with the cursing back in 6th grade. My Rainbow Coalition of friends (that's me in the maroon Mem.ber's On.ly Jacket..you can't see the J's, but I had the first pair. My first and last pair of Jor.dans) and I used to have so much fun cursing each other out, but it was all in fun. Nobody ever got mad, we just liked the sound of those forbidden words. I have so many more memories but I'll save some of those for a rainy day when I have nothing to post about I have more to talk about so lets move on.


Then yesterday, I reconnected with an old friend of mine on MySpace. I usually never even log on, and I just added pictures to my page the other day. I actually found her awhile back , but just got in touch with her yesterday. We exchanged emails for a few, caught up on 9 years, and I was able to get out my apology for leaving Savannah without telling her (or anybody for that matter.) It culminated with her sending me her phone number. She's back in Savannah for awhile, so maybe I'll try to see her when I'm there this weekend. I'm not sure if I'll have time since I'll be there for my mom's birthday party, but I'll try to sneak out. Another throwback...


And then just a few minutes ago, I got a call from Jessica. I don't know if anybody remembers from the old blog, but me and Jessica were as thick as thieves for a while there. We went just about every weekend for a few months until she moved to Tennessee for work. We used to keep in touch, but when I was going through my mess I kinda fell off. Then she was going through some mess. Then I started dating PHD, who Jessica hates and told me not to go out with. Then, I don't know, life just took us in different directions and we hadn't talked. Well, she called me tonight, and it was great. It was like old times. She'll be here next month, so we'll have to hook up. I knew there was a reason I didn't go to work today, you know besides laziness. Here a picture of us from a couple years ago.


With all this throwback stuff going on, I normally would be waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's not being pessimistic, its just being real. Usually good stuff is coupled with bad stuff for me. That means that I reconnect with someone I want to reconnect with, then one of my old stalkers pops back up. But I'm not feeling that way. I'm okay with the all the throwbacks so far, and who knows maybe I'll see even more when I go to Savannah this weekend. Ahh, who am I kidding? I'm gonna do like I always do when in the Seaport City: Grandma's house, Mom's house, and home. I better not tempt fate.