Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Bros Before Hoes pt 3

Part 1 and Part 2 are below, or click the links. I know it's really long, but its finished now.



"I want to talk to you guys about Tony!"



In retrospect, I'm surprised it took this long. They had been together for what seemed like an eternity. And virtually the whole time, Tony hadn't grown up a bit. He was still that same silly, immature, cheating guy that he was back in the day. Regardless of that, he was my friend and my loyalty always lied with him no matter what. On this night, however, I had enough.



"Where did he go tonight? I know he told you guys."



I looked at Kareem, hoping he would take the lead. He looked at me hoping the same of me. Neither one of us said anything.



"I've been around you guys long enough to know that you guys don't keep secrets from each other. All I'm asking is the same respect."



She had a good point. What he was doing was disrespectful, and by keeping quiet, I was being disrespectful as well.



"I really think this is something that you and Tony should talk about."

"So, you do know?

"Yeah, I mean. I know what he told me."

"Was he with another girl?"

"Damn, Leslie..."

"He was!"

"I didn't say all that."

"Do you think what he is doing is right?"

"Nah, I mean. It was fucked up that he left you today, but..."

"You are just gonna let him treat me this way. You guys are supposed to be friends. Friend check their friends when they are doing wrong."

"I did..."

"So you think what he is doing is wrong?"



Damn, pre law girl with her logical arguments. I felt like Caine in MenaceIISociety getting tricked by the police. I internally debated the pros and cons of coming clean with Leslie right there and then. On the one hand, she was cool people and needed to know the truth, on the other hand, Tony was my boy. Bros before hoes! That's the code of the streets. In that moment I came to a decision.



"Look, Leslie. It's not my place to snitch on my homeboy. But what I will say is this: where there's smoke, there's fire."

"OH GOD!!! How many girls?"

"Again, its not my place. I already said too much. And its only because I like you and I think you deserve someone who is gonna treat you right. Hopefully, it can be Tony, but if not, then you gotta do what you gotta do."

"Are you telling me to break up with him?"

"Nah, that's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying, you need to be treated the way you want to be treated and not settle for less."

"I'm gonna do it. I'm breaking up with him as soon as he gets back."

"No, don't do that. Talk to him. Make it clear what you want and what you will not accept."

"You're right."



That night, I broke the G code, somewhat. I struggled with my decision to speak up. I felt like I betrayed Tony. But on the other hand it was a relief not to be carrying that weight anymore. My days of being an alibi were done. I wish I could say that things got better for Leslie and Tony. But they didn't. I mean, they really, really didn't. She didn't break up with him and for a month or two, he did right by her. But then she went back to Georgia Southern and the old Tony came out to play. It culminated on an October night when I got a phone call telling me that Tony was in jail.



"He is in jail for what?"

"No lie, kid. Statutory!"

"Are you fucking kidding me?"

"I wouldn't lie about that... He needs bail money or he'll have to stay the weekend."

"Fuck that. I ain't bailing that stupid nigga out, besides I ain't got it. Da fuck is he messing with underage girls for anyway?"

"Should we call Leslie?"

"Hell no! You can't tell her about this."

"Well, then he's gonna get sent to county"

"I mean, its your call. Ain't no way in hell I'm making that phone call."



Somebody called Leslie. And she actually bailed him out. I wonder if it was out of love or shock, but she did it. But that was the straw that broke the camel's back. There was no more Leslie and Tony after that, a fact that she made very clear to me shortly after she found out. Somehow, she had found her way to my apartment. Kareem and my roommate Charis were there too. It was hard to look Leslie in her face...



"I'm bailing your friend out of jail, but I want you to tell him not to ever call me again."

"I understand."

"I'm sorry to be putting you in this position, but I can't face him. I'm not gonna cry anymore over his triflin ass."

"I got you. But did you ever stop to think he might be innocent?"



I was really playing devils advocate, more than advocating for my friend. Shit, I knew in my heart that he was guilty, so Leslie probably knew the same.



"It doesn't really matter. For him to even put himself in a position that he could be accused of something like this just shows he didn't really think shit about me."

"You're right."

"I hope that you can help him get his life together. I'm done. I'm fucking done..."



And she was. I never saw her again after that. I'm sure Tony did his fair share of begging, but to no avail. I can't say that I was sad about that. Leslie was a good person, she didn't deserve to be treated like dirt. I regret the role I played and that I let the bros before hoes mentality compromise my own morality. I hope Leslie is doing okay today. That was the kind of relationship that makes women swear off men, or go crazy. As for Tony, he copped a plea. He didn't have to serve time, but he got probation and had to register as a sex offender. I found out the girl was 15 at the time while he was 21. I (intentionally) lost touch with him (there were other issues that don't fit into this post) when I moved to Atlanta, so I have no idea what he's up to now. Last I heard he was singing in a gospel group and going to seminary school. I wish I beleived that was sincere, but I really don't. I hope it is though.



So, what do you think? Was I wrong for telling Leslie what the deal was? Should I have kept my mouth closed? Should I have said something sooner? Inquiring minds want to know! 10 years later and I'm still kinda conflicted about this one. I know it was the right thing to do, but was it also was the wrong thing to do? I'm not sure. Anyway, thanks for reading...