Monday, January 21, 2008

Rashan X's Attempt At Civil Disobedience pt 2

Part One is rightchea. Don't worry, its only 2 parts. LOL



The next morning, he sat in his homeroom class again. His white classmates asked him about his stance and whether he intended to not say the pledge again. He responded that he would not.



"You're crazy. Whether you believe it or not, you don't want to mess with Mr. Somerset. He will suspend you like that."

"He has to do what he has to do. I have to do what I have to do."



His false bravado masked the fear he was feeling. He had never been suspended before. Hell, he never even had detention. He managed the first two and a half years of high school by remaining unnoticed. He flew under the radar, but now the spotlight was shining directly in his eyes. He put his game face on as morning announcements began. His homeroom teacher locked his sights on him and from behind him he heard the classroom door open. No, it wasn't a tardy student... It was Mr. Somerset. He stood at the back of the classroom, arms folded, a surly look upon his visage. He had come to witness in person, whether or not his order was to be obeyed. As the time for the pledge grew nigh, the young man made his final decision. Would he take a stand by sitting? Or would he crumble under the threatening presence of the assistant principal.



"Please stand and recite the Pledge of Allegiance."



The young man remained in his seat as his classmates loudly recited the pledge. There were no jokes this morning. Although Mr. Somerset was there only for one student, they took no chances as the enunciated every syllable.



"Mr Weldon, get your books and come with me."



He spoke in a stern, unwavering voice. The kind of presence that can be respected as an adult, yet misunderstood as disrespectful as an adolescent. He packed up his bookbag and followed Mr. Somerset to his office. Students peered out the window of their classrooms, taking in the sight of the nerd being taken to the office. Mr. Somerset led the young man to his office and closed the door behind him.



"Take a seat, Mr. Weldon."



He sat down on the edge of the chair. He was much too tense to sit back and get comfortable, in fact he was ready to go on the offensive, and say all the things he was not allowed to say the previous day.



"What is this nonsense? Do you think you can do whatever you want?"

"I don't think so. I just want an opportunity to be heard."

"I don't want to hear what you have to say. I only want to hear you say, 'yes sir. I will do as I was told'"

I'm sorry, but I can't do that. This is more than just a test of wills. I feel strongly about this and you wont even let me explain why."

"I'm not really interested in the whys. Do you think I haven't ever felt conflicted? But that's not how you get ahead."



You old Booker T Washington ass house nigga. That's what the young man was thinking. Of course, he didn't say it.



"I think I'm well in my rights to refuse the pledge of allegiance. This country has never respected the black contributions to it."

"Mr Weldon.."

"I mean, we were counted as 3/5ths of a person. You got Jim Crow laws, Tuskegee experiments... Where are our 40 acres and a mule? Where is our public apology for slavery?"

"Mr. Weldon.. this is neither the time or the place for this debate. This is a school. In a school, students do what teachers tell them to do or they face the consequences."
"This is a school. A place of learning. What do we learn about in this school? We only learn about black people in black history month and then its just about slavery. That's not all we are."


"I know that and I respect you for doing the research, however, I will not tolerate your insubordination. Mr. ____ told you, I told you and you disrespected our wishes."

"Disrespect? You wanna talk disrespect? I sit there quietly during the pledge. Those white students disrespect the pledge daily, but you don't hear about that. I'm not the one changing the name of the country and saying Todd instead of God. I've been nothing but respectful.

"This is not about them. If they are making a mockery of the pledge, I will handle them. Now lets talk about your punishment."

"Punishment?"

"I'll give you one more chance. If you can tell me right here and now that you will stand for the pledge, I'll let you off with a detention. If not..."

"Not! It's not gonna happen. I feel strongly about this and I will not cower."

"Okay, then I'm going to have to call your parents. You are going to be suspended."



Suspension. He knew it was a possibility, but didn't think it would actually go that far. Is it true that colleges look at that kind of stuff when considering applications? Would his political stand cause him to be denied a higher education. What would his mother say? Those questions circled in his head as Mr. Somerset dialed his mother's number at work.



"Ma'am, we need you to come pick up Rashan. He's been suspended from school."



His mother came into the office about an hour later. The entire time, the young man was sitting in the waiting area steaming at the course of events. Steaming, and fighting back the feeling of dread he was experiencing. He didn't know what would come next, but he was pretty sure it wouldn't be good. His mother and Mr. Somerset talked in his office. The door was closed, but he could partially hear what was being said.



"I think you are overreacting... He's a good kid... Rashan is not being disrespectful... Well, lets talk to Mrs. Wong about it."



Oh, shit! His mother had his back. He wasn't quite sure that she would. He was always the good one, the responsible one, the consummate middle child that did the right thing. But his mother really came through for him. After a couple more meetings it was decided, Rashan's act of civil disobedience would go unpunished. Really, all he did was exercise his right of freedom of expression. Surely, the school wouldn't want to prevent a bright young man from receiving his education. Surely, it would be bad publicity for a school to stifle intelligent discourse. Surely, the school doesn't want to have the matter brought up before the school board. And they didn't. A compromise was reached. As long as he remained quietly respectful of the pledge, no further action would be taken.



That's all he wanted anyway. Well, that and to spark some racial dialogue, which he did. The young man and his classmates engaged in that dialogue, even if the powers that be refused to join in. In the end, nothing really changed, except for that young man. He realized the power of his actions and refused to ever bow down in the face of pressure. He learned that his power lies in his intelligence, and that he should never try to hide it. He became the man that I am today: unafraid to express his opinion, even when it's not popular.



There is my obligitory MLK Day post. You know I had to be different. Hope everyone is having a good one, and that you didn't have to work like I do. Sing! Sing! Celebrate!